The Starke County Election Board met Wednesday morning where the Board discussed consolidating voting precincts beginning with the 2012 Primary Election.
Several precinct voting locations would change for the Primary Election in May.
Here is what the Board is proposing for 2012:
- California 1 be moved to the California Township Fire House
- Center 5 and 6 to the Knox South Side Firehouse
- Jackson Township to the North Judson-Wayne Township Fire Department
- North Bend to the Bass Lake Property Owners Building
- Oregon 1 to the Hamlet Fire Station
- Oregon 3 to the Koontz Lake Fire Station
- Washington 2 to the other side of the Washington Township Community Building
- Wayne 4 to the St. Peter Lutheran Church
With the changing of locations, the number of voting machines and the number of poll workers will be adjusted to accommodate the change. The consolidation is being proposed to reduce election cost.
Those voting in Center Township Precincts 1, 2, 3 and 4 moved to the Knox Community Center for the Primary Election this year and Board is happy with that change. The Board was able to save approximately $760 with this consolidation. Clerk Evelyn Skronski said that with the consolidations, the projected costs for the 2012 Primary Election will be $9,240 for labor which is a cost savings of $4,620.