Four people were sickened at the LaPorte County Fair after reportedly coming in direct contact with swine.
Confirmed test results on patient specimens indicate the cause as a variant influenza A virus. Influenza virus specimens from swine also tested positive for this virus.
This virus was directly transmitted from the infected swine.
If you have had direct, routine contact with swine, such as working in swine barns or showing swine at fairs, and have experienced cough or influenza-like illness, contact your local healthcare provider.
The Indiana State Department of Health, the Indiana Board of Animal Health, and the LaPorte County Health Department are continuing their investigation into this incident. All four affected people in this incident have recovered.