Despite a number of complaints from residents who claimed they were adversely affected by ash and soot from the controlled burn conducted by the city of Knox in September, Mayor Rick Chambers told the city council this week that the Indiana Department of Environmental Management conducted an inspection at the site of the burn and found no violations.
Chambers explained to the council that he had received several complaints concerning ash and soot from the fire, and one resident had filed a police report regarding damage to his vehicle from burning ash that had fallen on the car.
Since then, however, IDEM was contacted by a resident and notified EMA Director Ted Bombagetti that they would be conducting an inspection at the site. On Oct. 2, IDEM visited the city dump to inspect the burn site and found no violations despite the complaints. Regardless, Chambers said they have no plans on burning out at the dump ever again.
The Indiana Department of Environmental Management granted the city’s burn permit on Aug. 9, allowing the city 30 days to conduct the burn. According to the permit, the city was allowed to conduct the controlled burn at the Starke County Highway Garage, Knox City Dump, or Wythogan Park, and the council decided that the dump was the safest place for the burn.