Pulaski, Starke Agencies Offer Free Devices for Low Vision Residents

Community Services of Starke County
Community Services of Starke County

Pulaski and Starke residents over the age of 55 who suffer from low vision and would like to receive assistive devices are encouraged to contact Pulaski County Human Services or Community Services of Starke County to receive free assistive devices. Jackie Frain, director of Pulaski County Human Services, told WKVI that they are offering a program for those with low vision to provide them with the devices, assisting them in staying independent in their homes.

“This is a very special opportunity for up to 20 individuals who are 55 or older by June 28 to participate in a minor assessment, mostly demographic information, and to receive an assistive device to help them stay independent in their home, such as magnifying glasses that are appropriate for their need or check-writers or talking alarm clocks – things that can just help them stay in their homes,” said Frain.

She explained there are only two key criteria to qualify: the participant must be 55 or older and suffer from low vision. Contact Pulaski County Human Services at (574) 946-6500 to schedule an assessment which Frain said should take less than an hour. Following that, Frain said the organization will order up to $100 in assistive devices to be delivered to the individual at their home.

This program runs through the month of June, and Frain said they have funds available to provide up to 20 individuals with these devices. Frain said she and Winnie Martin, organizer of the visually impaired support group that meets at the human services building monthly, have been trained to perform the assessments.

“If people have been diagnosed with low vision or feel they suffer from low vision, we need to have them call us and get an appointment scheduled. We’re trying to see people on Mondays and Winnie and I are working as a team – one does the assessment, the other one demonstrates, and if we can get three or four people at a time that would be great,” said Frain.

The program is funded by a grant received by the Indiana League for the Blind as well as funds from the Northwest Indiana Community Action Agency. Starke County residents should contact Community Services of Starke County at (574) 772-7070.