Starke County Highway Superintendent Rik Ritzler told the commissioners this week that U.S. 35 will be closed from June 20 to Nov. 1 to replace the overpass just south of U.S. 30 over the railroad tracks. Ritzler said the project was let for bids last month by INDOT, and will be completely paid for by state and federal funds.
The winning construction bid for the replacement came in at more than $4.2 million. Superior Construction from Gary will replace the bridge at an exact cost of $4,258,856, and Ritzler said the construction will begin on June 20, to be wrapped up by Nov. 1.
Ritzler said the state detour will direct traffic from U.S. 35 to State Road 8, to State Road 39, to U.S. 30. A local detour, however, was also cleared with the state. The local detour will direct traffic from U.S. 35 to County Road 500 North, to 300 East, then to U.S. 30.