Be Safe with Pool Chemicals This Summer

With temperatures expected to reach near 90 degrees this weekend, many may be headed to the pool in the backyard.

Indiana Poison Center Director Dr. James Mowry cautions pool owners about handling, using and storing potentially hazardous pool care chemicals. Chlorine, when stored in undiluted forms, can be quite toxic.

Always store pool chemicals and pool test kits in their original containers in a locked, dry area out of the reach of children. Follow directions with pool sanitizing chemicals. Do not mix concentrated pool chemicals together as this could cause an explosion of toxic chemicals. The Indiana Poison Center director also recommends that you never pour chemicals into containers that are wet or have contained other chemicals. Wait until the chlorine level is at the level recommended by the product before swimming in your pools, especially after “shock-treating” the pool.

If you have suffered from a chemical exposure, remove contaminated clothing and wash skin well with soap and water. If you get chemicals in your eyes, flush your eyes under running water for at least 15 to 20 minutes. For respiratory issues, evacuate the area and if you ingest chemicals drink water or milk and call the Indiana Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222.