IRS Offers Tax Tips for Newlyweds


With warm weather comes weddings, and the IRS is offering several tips for newlyweds when it comes to taxes. It’s important to ensure the names and Social Security numbers that are on your tax return match your Social Security Administration records, so if you’ve changed your name, report that to the SSA by filing a Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card. This form can be obtained on their website at, by calling 800-772-1213 or by visiting your local SSA office.

If your address has changed, file a Change of Address Form 8822 to notify the IRS and it would be a good idea to notify the U.S. Postal Service as well. If you work, report your name or address change to your employer. This will help to ensure that you receive your Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, after the end of the year.

If you and your spouse both work, it would be wise to check the amount of federal income tax withheld from your pay as your combined incomes may move you into a higher tax bracket. Use the IRS Withholding Calculator tool at to help you complete a new Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate.

If you didn’t qualify to itemize deductions before you were married, that may have changed. You and your spouse may save money by itemizing rather than taking the standard deduction on your tax return. You’ll need to use Form 1040 with Schedule A, Itemized Deductions. You can’t use Form 1040A or 1040EZ when you itemize.

For more information about these topics, visit You can also get IRS forms and publications at or by calling 800-TAX-FORM.