Remember Safety When Heating Your Home This Winter

The winter season is upon us and as the heat is turned up, make sure all safety precautions are being utilized.

If you are using woodstoves or fireplaces, use only dry, seasoned wood to avoid the build-up of creosote. Creosote is an oily deposit that can easily catch fire. Avoid using a flammable liquid to start the fire. A sturdy screen should be placed in front of the fireplace to avoid sparks from flying into the room.

Knox-Center Township Fire Chief Kenny Pfost adds that the use of space heaters can be a fire hazard. Be sure keep all flammable items away from space heaters. Pfost also cautions you to find a suitable outlet in which to plug in a space heater.

“Make sure you don’t put them in an overloaded outlet,” Pfost explained. “Make sure that the circuit is going to be able to provide the correct amount of electricity to the heater. Don’t plug them into power strips.”

A generator should never be used inside. Emergency generators should be used outdoors away from windows and doors to prevent fumes from entering the home.

A carbon monoxide detector should also be installed to help detect dangerous carbon monoxide levels are found.