A second victim of a Friday fire at a rural Knox home has died. A representative from the Allen County Coroner’s Office in Fort Wayne tells WKVI news Linda Manns, 51, died at 10:50 p.m. Saturday from complications due to that fire. She suffered extensive thermal burns, and her death was ruled accidental.
Her grandson, Lucas F. Fisher, 2, was killed in the fire. Preliminary autopsy results indicate he died of smoke inhalation from carbon monoxide. Her husband, Carl Manns, was injured trying to rescue her. A spokeswoman for St. Joseph Hospital in Fort Wayne advises he was released yesterday.
A investigator from the state fire marshal’s office has tentatively ruled the fire accidental. The Bass Lake-California Township Volunteer Fire Department responded around 7:30 a.m. Friday to the home in the area of 700 South and 300 East. The North Judson-Wayne Township Fire Department, Starke County EMS and Starke County Sheriff’s Department all assisted. Dispatchers with the Starke County Sheriff’s Department advise the fire department left at 1:11 p.m. Friday.