Veterans Service Officer Clarifies ID Card Guidelines


One of the most frequent questions Starke County Veterans Service Officer Terry Turner gets is how one who has been honorably discharged from the service obtains an identification card. He says the only ID cards issued by the VA are for medical purposes. However, Turner says veterans can take their discharge papers to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles branch and have a “v” put on the back of their license or state identification card.

He says businesses that offer discounts to veterans will accept that as proper identification. Businesses ranging from restaurants to big-box retailers offer various discounts to veterans. Turner encourages veterans to ask if any discounts are available and says they can realize significant savings.