The Medaryville Fire Department fought a brush and house fire this afternoon.
Medaryville Fire Chief Shaun Hauptli told WKVI News that the fire started as a neighbor was burning brush at 14715 W. 450 N. in Medaryville. The pile was left unattended. The wind picked up and spread the fire to the home of Charlotte Stoner. The home sustained water and smoke damage along with structure damage to the second story, mainly contained to the roof.
Hauptli stated that conditions are very dry, and residents should wait for a calm day to burn any brush if it is allowed by ordinance in the area. He stressed that a brush fire should be attended at all times. A water source should be ready in case the fire gets too large or out of control.
Nobody was home at the time of the fire, but the American Red Cross has been called to assist the family.
The Medaryville Fire Department was assisted by the San Pierre Fire Department.