Starke and LaPorte Hospitals are working to help residents get their recommended breast cancer screenings. Those who need help paying for mammograms may be eligible for help through the hospitals’ voucher program.
It receives funding from the Indiana Breast Cancer Awareness Trust, which raises money through the sale of the state’s breast cancer awareness license plates. For more information about the mammogram vouchers, contact Josephine Klicek at Starke Hospital at 574-772-1139.
Information will also be available from the LaPorte Hospital Mobile Health Unit, when it travels to several communities next month. These include North Judson on Friday, October 14 from 1:00 to 2:30 p.m. at Bailey’s Discount Center and Knox on Thursday, October 27 from 10:00 to 11:30 a.m. at Starke Hospital. During the visits, health professionals will discuss breast cancer prevention and detection, including the importance of self examinations.
Additionally, the Mobile Health Unit will also offer free bone density screenings. During the process, a machine analyzes the heel bone for low bone mass. According to information released by the hospital, the screening takes about 10 minutes and helps people learn their risk for osteoporosis, which affects more than half of U.S. residents age 50 and older.
Mobile Health Unit October Schedule
- Oct. 4, 10:30 a.m. – Noon, Good Will Industries, 3822 Franklin St., Michigan City
- Oct. 6, 10-11:30 a.m., Al’s Supermarket, 3535 Franklin St., Michigan City
- Oct. 10, 10:30 a.m. – Noon, La Porte Hospital, 1007 Lincolnway, La Porte
- Oct. 11, 10-11:30 a.m., Kroger, 55 Pine Lake Ave., La Porte
- Oct. 12, 10-11:30 a.m., Kabelin’s, 512 Andrew Ave., La Porte
- Oct. 14, 1-2:30 p.m., Bailey’s Discount Center, 5900 S. Range Road, North Judson
- Oct. 18, 9:30-11 a.m., Al’s Supermarket, 702 E. Lincolnway, La Porte
- Oct. 25, 9:30-11 a.m., Good Will Industries, 1509 E. Lincolnway, La Porte
- Oct. 27, 10-11:30 a.m., Starke Hospital, 102 E. Culver Road, Knox