From the EastWing, Introducing Lucy Brown, Sleepless Nights, 7% 93%, Doing It Right.

Greeting to all and welcome new friends to the EastWing.

 

She’s  a baby only 14 weeks old, her name is LucyBrown, she’s a bird dog. In the A.K.C. Sporting Dogs World the German Short Hair Pointer is considered by many to be the winner of the Grand Prize Game. In the Short Hair Pointer World one of the blood lines will or rare occasion produce an offspring with such an intense deep color it is, in low light, sometimes mistaken for black.

 

The color is brown. The most dark deep brown you may have ever seen. The official name of this dark brown color  Liver, yes Liver. In order to be classified as liver there can only be less than 10% of the surface of the dog with any  other color.  That other color being white. The  opposing color must be on the neck and chest. A white star is allowed on the belly between the front legs.

 

LucyBrown has her star. LucyBrown is Liver. LucyBrown is a bird dog.  She will, in the future, be widely know and highly acclaimed, but for right  now she’s baby girl LucyBrown learning the rules of the EastWing. But her time to shine will surly come. The Bird Dog LucyBrown.

 

A while back I had an opportunity to talk about identify theft how different people react to the fear of such. Keep in mind we are bombarded with a never ending stream of “news reports” of identity theft.  Seems everywhere we turn identify theft is a major part of the conversation.

 

A whole new product line of consumer goods have come about as a result of the wide fear of identity theft. Everything from a service to monitor your activity to special magic markers to block out you name and address on every piece of mail you receive.

 

But let’s stop and think right here, how many people do you know who have had their identify stolen? The vast majority will have to say none. Another way to view this threat to you peace and tranquility is from a satirical point of view.

 

The folks who keep track of such things say 7% of the population has had issues with identify theft. 7%, that means 93% did not. And you think you’re gonna be in the 7%, I don’t think so. The odds are for sure in your favor of being in the 93% group.

 

Also keep in mind the vast majority of issues with identify theft are outside your element of control. Remember when the Federal Government said someone stole maybe 5 million pieces of data from the Social Security Administration, but  didn’t get Social Security Numbers.  Now isn’t that the dumbest statement you ever heard. It’s kinda like breaking into the bank, not taking any money but only taking all the  accounts payable you can find.

 

It then turned out that the actual amount of accounts breeched was some 25 million, not 5 million as first stated. The final number was released about 6 weeks after the first announcement so by then everyone had forgotten about the whole thing.

 

In this case none of the accounts involved were notified by the government and to this day we don’t have a clue what if anything was exposed. The point is we can worry ourselves sick over something over which we have very little control or take a few common since steps and then go on with our lives.

 

In my personal opinion,  shredding all your mail is stupid. Why shred something that is already in the public sector. You get tons of junk mail and you’re gonna shred your address from that.  Has that put a stop to anything yet? Don’t think so, and it never will. The question becomes why try to  hide what is already in full view in many different places.

 

A more common since approach is be careful where you expose your Social Security Number, your date of birth, you bank routing number with account number and your credit card numbers.  These are the keys to identify theft. If you protect these pieces of your identify, then you have done all you can do to be secure in the electronic world.

 

When this information is outside your control,,,,,, you’re still in the 93%

Never disclose your checking account number or pay with Western Union/money order Never will Microsoft call you to tell you that your computer has a virus.  Never pay for “Support” because a website told you that your computer is infected Never give personal information over the phone unless you can verify the source Never believe what an internet stranger tells you about your computer status Never use support hotlines from search engines. They are rarely legitimate. Never Never let an unsolicited party have access to your computer

And that boys and girls is the quick and dirty world of identity theft and what we can do to feel secure in our safe and sound tree.

 

From the EastWing, Introducing Lucy Brown, Sleepless Nights, 7% 93%, Doing It Right.

 

I Wish You Well,

BobbyRay