She says the town has finished paying off all the costs associated with the project, with the final total adding up to $105,186.50. For comparison, the first demolition bid the town got was for $250,000. The town council rejected it back in June.
Collins says that delayed the project by several weeks and meant that a large area had to be blocked off during the Mint Festival. But she says it was well worth the inconvenience.
On July 10, the town council accepted a bid from Dirt Works Excavating at a much lower price of $96,499. While the town agreed to cover the cost of asbestos removal and air quality monitoring, Collins says it ended up being a lot less than town officials expected, coming in under $8,700.
The demolition work was completed earlier this month.