Electrical Issues Suspected Cause of Incident at Knox Restaurant

An electrical malfunction is the suspected cause of why first responders were called to Christo’s in Knox Saturday afternoon.

Knox-Center Township Fire Chief Kenny Pfost reports that units were on the scene for approximately four hours throughout the day. According to Pfost, the Department was dispatched to the restaurant on two separate occasions.

The first request for assistance came in shortly after 2 o’clock when officials received a call about an odor of smoke.

Chief Pfost said that crews responded to the restaurant and found nothing at that time. Staff members were advised to contact an electrician. The FD stayed on scene until the electrician arrived.

Firefighters were called back about an hour and a half later as the burning smell persisted. While on the scene during that call, Pfost said smoke was sighted near the ceiling and there was a smell of burnt wood.

He mentioned that while there were never any flames spotted, the main issue was smoldering insulation and other materials from the apparent electrical issues.

There were no injuries but extensive damage to the ceiling in the kitchen was reported.

Assisting agencies included North Judson-Wayne Township, Hamlet, Washington Township and Plymouth Fire Departments as well as the Knox Police Department and Starke County EMS.