A Knox resident is crediting the city’s first responders for saving the life of her son earlier this month. Elizabeth Darda expressed her thanks during Wednesday’s board of works meeting.
“On August 8, my son got stung by yellow-jackets and went into anaphylactic shock, was transported to Mishawaka and in an induced coma on a ventilator for three days,” she explained. “Thanks to the quick response and the good care, August 17, he walked out of the hospital with short-term memory loss.”
She added that EMTs arrived within three to five minutes and also said that Starke Hospital’s emergency room staff did an “amazing job” preparing him for transport. Darda personally thanked Police Chief Harold Smith and Fire Chief Kenny Pfost before Wednesday’s meeting.