Firefighters from the Knox-Center Township Fire Department battled a house fire in the 1400 block of U.S. 35 just north of Knox.
When they arrived at the scene just after 9:30 p.m. Monday, flames could be seen from the back of the residence. Dark, heavy smoke billowed from the eaves. According to Fire Chief Kenny Pfost, all of the occupants were out of the house, but a dog remained inside. Firefighters entered the house, located the dog and carried it to safety. No injuries were reported.
Working smoke detectors alerted the family to the emergency.
The Starke County Sheriff’s Department and Starke County EMS assisted the firefighters at the scene.
The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental.