The Starke County Commissioners meeting ended outside the Starke County Annex No. 1 Building Monday night after the fire alarm sounded near the conclusion of the meeting.Continue reading
The Knox-Center Township Fire Department firefighters battled an outbuilding fire Wednesday morning.
The Knox Board of Works members discussed a change order for the newly purchased fire truck for the Knox-Center Township Fire Department.
All of the roads closed due to flooding in the City of Knox are now open. Knox Street Superintendent Jeff Borg told the Board of Works members Wednesday morning that rerouting the truck traffic helped keep trucks out of danger and be on more solid roads.
The city had 60 tons of sand available for sand bags and the county brought in another 50 tons of sand to fill sand bags. Borg said about 10 tons of sand remain for city use. Any sand bags that are no longer needed may soon be collected and the sand re-deposited at the city street department.
Over the weekend, there were many Knox residents who pitched in to help keep flood waters at bay and Mayor Dennis Estok extended his gratitude to those dedicated individuals during Tuesday night’s city council meeting.
The mayor said, “That just goes to show us that we might be a small community, but we’re a strong community when people need help and that was very evident Saturday night, if you would have seen the operation it was something to see, so I want to thank everybody for helping us out.” Continue reading
The 2018 fire protection agreements between the City of Knox and Center and Jackson Townships were up for approval at the Knox City Council meeting Tuesday evening.
Clerk-Treasurer Jeff Houston stated that the proposed agreements are essentially the same as past years except they did one year rather than two year agreements this year. He said that decision was made because an election will be coming up and incoming groups can not be legally bound to an agreement. Continue reading
Firefighters battled a house fire in the 4100 block of East 200 South in Knox Sunday night.
According to Knox-Center Township Fire Chief Kenny Pfost, the Indiana State Fire Marshal deemed the fire accidental. The fire started in a recessed lighting fixture in the front porch area of the home.
Pfost added that crews from the Knox-Center Township Fire Department, Hamlet-Davis Fire Department and Washington Township Fire Department were at the scene for about four hours battling the blaze.
Firefighters from the Knox-Center Township Fire Department battled a house fire in the 1400 block of U.S. 35 just north of Knox.
When they arrived at the scene just after 9:30 p.m. Monday, flames could be seen from the back of the residence. Dark, heavy smoke billowed from the eaves. According to Fire Chief Kenny Pfost, all of the occupants were out of the house, but a dog remained inside. Firefighters entered the house, located the dog and carried it to safety. No injuries were reported.
Knox-Center Township Fire Chief Kenny Pfost told the council members that he doesn’t approve of the agreement presented and will talk with Bass Lake Fire Chief Les Jensen about an agreement that would be acceptable between both parties.
Chief Pfost stated that the departments are operating under a mutual aid agreement provided by the state, but he would like to see it tailored to fit the needs of both departments.
The cause of the house fire on 175 North just east of U.S. 35 in Starke County on Sunday was determined as arson.
Knox-Center Township Fire Chief Kenny Pfost said there were many areas of origin. The home was fully engulfed when firefighters arrived at the scene. Firefighters were battling a woods fire at the time the house fire was called into the Sheriff’s Department. Hamlet and Washington Township firefighters assisted at the scene along with water and manpower support from the Koontz Lake Fire Department.
A Christmas tree is a beautiful symbol that brightens up your home for the holidays.
Knox-Center Township Fire Chief Kenny Pfost urges you to keep safety a number one priority this season.
“If you purchase a live Christmas tree, try and make sure you get the freshest tree possible. You want to choose one with fresh, green needles that don’t fall off when you touch them. If you choose an artificial tree, make sure it’s labeled as ‘fire retardant,’” stated Pfost.
Knox-Center Township firefighter Wayne Noah and Fire Chief Kenny Pfost were at the Knox City Council meeting Tuesday night to raise questions about Noah’s injury claim through the city.
Noah was injured five weeks ago while assisting in an investigation at a fire scene. He fractured his ankle in the incident and has filed a claim through the city. He has received some money from the insurance but not all of what is owed to him.
With the many house fires that have been fought in the area recently, fire safety is one thing to keep in mind.
Fifty-three fire fatalities have been reported so far this year, compared to 46 total last year. Knox-Center Township Fire Chief Kenny Pfost notes that these deaths could have been prevented if a working smoke alarm was present.
“Most home fire casualties occur at night when people are sleeping,” said Pfost. “The smoke and toxic gases generated by a fire induce a deep sleep and decreases a person’s chance of survival. It’s important that every sleeping room has a smoke detector and one placed outside of every sleeping room. You also need a smoke detector for every level of the home.”
Although it’s been dry in the Knox area, Knox-Center Township Fire Chief Kenny Pfost says his department hasn’t been called out to too many brush fires.
“We’ve been fortunate,” commented Pfost. “We’ve only had a couple of brush fires, but there have been several more throughout the county. It hasn’t been too much of a problem yet and hopefully the residents of Starke County can help keep it under control.”
Pfost urges you to not burn anything during this drought, but if you have to, he offers these suggestions.
“The biggest thing is to use common sense,” said Pfost. “I prefer that you don’t burn at all. If it is necessary, keep it attended. If you can, have water present, like a garden hose. If nothing else, keep the grass wet around the fire. It seems like a lot of people wait until the windiest day of the year to burn. Burn on a calm day if you have to burn. Try to do it during the daylight hours and don’t burn anything you can’t manage.”
The Knox-Center Township Fire Department was called to a vehicle fire last night in the Five Star parking lot.
Fire Chief, Kenny Pfost, said that when they arrived at the scene, flames were coming from the engine compartment. Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the engine area. No foul play is suspected.
Knox-Center Township Fire Chief, Kenny Pfost, has another fire prevention tip in honor of National Fire Prevention Week.
“Never leave your home with candles burning,” said Pfost. “We’ve had a lot of fires where people leave home and they forget to put a candle out. Keep them away from curtains.”
Knox residents are reminded that a burning ordinance is in effect. It is unlawful to maintain any form of leaf burning or wood burning of any kind, on private or public property.
The Police Department will issue a warning notice to a first time violator, then a $50 citation will be issued. Each separate offense shall be considered a separate violation.
National Fire Prevention Week is this week and Knox-Center Township Fire Chief, Kenny Pfost, has this fire prevention tip.
“Keep paper, dish towels and other combustibles away from the stove top,” he urged. “Some people have paper towel dispensers below the cabinets and it is recommended that a toaster is not placed underneath that dispenser.”
Pfost said it’s important to have house numbers visible so firefighters can find your home in case of a fire.
The Knox-Center Township Fire Department recently purchased a boat for river rescues and Fire Chief, Kenny Pfost, said it was used during the rescue attempt Sunday morning.
The Knox-Center Township Fire Department was called to a fire at Sibo’s Grill, north of Knox on U.S. 35 shortly after 2:00 a.m. this morning.
According to Fire Chief, Kenny Pfost, an electrical issue started the fire in the facility. The building was not a total loss, but it did suffer extensive heat and smoke damage. Thousands of dollars in damage was done to the facility.