As the weather heats up, it’s important to keep yourself safe from sun exposure and excessive heat. Heat stroke and heat exhaustion are major risks in the summer months, according to officials from LaPorte Hospital.
They say there are some warning signs for heat stroke, including red, hot, and dry skin, rapid pulse, dizziness, or nausea. While heat exhaustion’s similar, it also comes with some of its own specific symptoms, like heavy sweating, cold or clammy skin, and rapid heartbeat.
If someone experiences these symptoms, doctors say it’s important to get the body cooled down immediately, by taking a cool shower, being wrapped in a cool, wet blanket, or placing ice packs on the groin, armpits, and neck. For those who experience heat stroke, someone should call 911 or get them to a doctor immediately.
Parents can also take a few steps to prevent heat stroke in children. These include not leaving their kids in vehicles while running errands, and making sure children stay hydrated while playing or riding in warm vehicles.
To further educate local residents about sun and warm weather safety, LaPorte Hospital’s Mobile Health Unit and Wellness Outreach staff are visiting communities around Starke and LaPorte counties, including a stop this afternoon from 1:00 to 2:30 at Bailey’s Discount Center in North Judson.
During these events, Wellness Outreach professionals will also be conducting free body mass index screenings. These can help determine whether a person’s underweight, a normal weight, or overweight, and what steps should be taken to keep healthy.
LaPorte Hospital Mobile Health Unit’s BMI and Sun Safety information events:
- 10:00-11:30 a.m., June 7 at Good Will, 3822 Franklin St., Michigan City
- 1:30-3:00 p.m., June 7 at Al’s Supermarket, 1340 W. State Road 2, La Porte
- 12:30-2:00 p.m., June 9 at Starke Hospital, 102 E. Culver Road, Knox
- Noon – 1:30 p.m., June 15 at The Pax Center, 605 Washington St., La Porte
- 10:00-11:30 a.m., June 28, Good Will, 1509 Lincolnway, La Porte
- 1:00-2:30 p.m., June 28 at Al’s Supermarket, 702 E. Lincolnway, La Porte
- 10:00-11:30 a.m., June 29 at Kabelin’s, 512 Andrew Ave., La Porte
- 10:00-11:30 a.m., June 30 at Al’s Supermarket, 1002 N. Karwick Ave., Michigan City