Knox House Fire Ruled Accidental

Firefighters battled a house fire in the 4100 block of East 200 South in Knox Sunday night.

According to Knox-Center Township Fire Chief Kenny Pfost, the Indiana State Fire Marshal deemed the fire accidental. The fire started in a recessed lighting fixture in the front porch area of the home.

Pfost added that crews from the Knox-Center Township Fire Department, Hamlet-Davis Fire Department and Washington Township Fire Department were at the scene for about four hours battling the blaze.

A neighbor was transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation after reportedly attempting to save two pets inside the home. One pet survived but the other perished. An oxygen mask designed for pets was utilized by Starke County EMS during the recovery effort.

One firefighter was treated and released for heat exhaustion.

The family is receiving assistance from the American Red Cross as the home was a total loss.

Photo provided.