UPDATE : Firefighters Quickly Contain Fire at Knox Home

An investigator with the Indiana State Fire Marshal’s Office determined that the cause of a fire at a Knox home was accidental.

The fire was reported to officials around 5 a.m. CT and crews from the Knox-Center Township Fire Department were able to put out the fire on the east side of the home within a minute, according to Fire Chief Kenny Pfost. 

When firefighters arrived at the scene, flames were seen shooting out of the roof on the eastern side of the home.  Firefighters were able to use a larger hose that expels water at a greater rate which enabled crews to put out the fire in about a minute.  Due to the quick action, Pfost said they were able to contain the fire to a small section of the home.  However, the rest of the home suffered heat and smoke damage.

Pfost said the Fire Marshal could not rule out the stove and range hood as the origin of the fire. 

The owners were not home at the time of the fire.  Pfost confirmed that one dog did perish in the incident.

Due to the elevated heat and humidity this morning, Pfost said he was grateful to have firefighters from several departments assist at the scene.  Washington Township, North Judson-Wayne Township, Hamlet-Davis Township, and Plymouth Fire Department crews were there along with Starke County EMS. 

No other injuries were reported.