Pulaski Council Looks to Revisit Supplemental Homestead Credit, As Tax Discussions Continue

Pulaski County Council: back row: Mike Tiede, Kathi Thompson, Brian Young; front row: Scott Hinkle, Rudy DeSabatine, Jay Sullivan (not pictured: Ken Boswell)

The Pulaski County Council passed an ordinance Monday that could allow property taxes to increase by “thawing” the county’s levy freeze. But one council member pointed out that another measure to balance the county’s tax structure had already been agreed upon but never been implemented.

Continue reading

Pulaski County Council to Vote on Property Tax Levy Freeze ‘Thaw’ Tonight

Pulaski County Council: back row: Mike Tiede, Kathi Thompson, Brian Young; front row: Scott Hinkle, Rudy DeSabatine, Jay Sullivan (not pictured: Ken Boswell)

An ordinance to “thaw” Pulaski County’s property tax levy freeze will be up for final approval during a special county council meeting tonight. The measure would allow the tax levy to increase within the limits set by the state’s growth quotient.

Continue reading

Income Taxes Due Today


Federal and state income taxes are due today. Michelle Bachtel from H&R Block says you need to file an extension if you can’t finish your return. Doing so gives you six additional months to file but does not  defer payments due. If you owe, pay as much as you can. Otherwise you will be assessed interest and penalties from April 15th. Continue reading

Don’t Ignore Income Tax Filing Deadline


Federal and state income tax returns need to be filed tomorrow. Michelle Bachtel with H&R Block says you have options if you owe and are not able to pay. She adds the most important thing is not to panic

“If you can’t pay the full amount by April 15, just pay what as much as you can,” Bachtel said. “Even though interest will accrue on the amount owed, you’re not going to be arrested, and they’re not going to come knock on your door and seize your home.” Continue reading

Itemizing Pays If You Qualify


Federal and state income taxes are due Wednesday. Michelle Bachtel from H&R Block in Knox says taxpayers can either take the standard deduction or itemize, depending on which will be most advantageous for their personal situation.

For individuals who are filing single or married filing separate, the standard deduction is $6,200. For a married filing joint couple or a qualifying widower with a dependent child, that amount is doubled to $12,400. And for a person filing head of household the amount is $9,100.

Bachtel encourages taxpayers to study their options carefully. Continue reading

Bring Essential Documents to Your Tax Appointment


If you haven’t filed your taxes yet, time is running out. Federal and state income taxes are both due Wednesday, April 15. Michelle Bachtel from H&R Block in Knox says you need to have personal information for everyone on your return handy before you start. This includes Social Security numbers, birth dates and full legal names as registered with the Social Security Administration. You will also need documentation of all of your income from wages, tips, savings, investments, retirement, rental property, self-employment or farming. Continue reading

Tax Preparer Offers Tips for Choosing Federal Form


Income taxes are due in six days. There’s still plenty of time to file if you haven’t already done so. Michelle Bachtel with the Knox H&R Block office says it’s important to choose the federal form that best meets your needs. A popular option is the 1040-EZ. However, it has limits.

“As long as you are under the age of 65, your income is below $100,000 and the income only comes from things like wages, salaries, tips and unemployment, with less than $1,500 in interest, you can use this form. But you cannot itemize deductions, claim dependents or be filing separate from your spouse. With this form your credits are limited, so just because you are eligible to file this form doesn’t mean you should, Bachtel said. Continue reading

Don’t Forget Any Income When Filing Your Taxes


Federal and state income taxes are due in eight days. Michelle Bachtel from H&R Block in Knox says it’s important not to exclude any sources of income.

“Pretty much all income, whether it’s reported or not reported, is taxable unless the law specifically excludes it,” Bachtel said. “This includes non-cash income from things like bartering or exchanging of assets. Both parties are expected to include the fair market value of the item or services they received as income on their tax returns.” Continue reading

Taxes Are Due Next Week – Who Needs to File?


Federal and state income taxes are due April 15. Michelle Bachtel with the H&R Block office in Knox says anyone whose income exceeds the filing threshold set by the IRS needs to file a tax return. Thresholds are based on your age and filing status, which is either single, married filing joint, married filing separate, head of household or qualifying widower.

Income requirements vary, but Bachtel offers a general guideline. Continue reading

Income Tax Filing Deadline is Quickly Approaching


Just three weeks remain to file income taxes on time. The deadline to file is Wednesday, April 15.

Katie McLear Public Relations Specialist with the Indiana Department of Revenue says taxes can be filed for free with the Indiana Free File program. If eligibility requirements don’t allow that option, McLear says the best option is to file electronically.

“There are a number of benefits to filing electronically,” explained McLear. “First for foremost you’re going to get your refund much faster. You’ll get that refund in about 10 to 14 days. You could wait up to 12 weeks if you file by paper.”

Continue reading

Taxes are Due Today, Don’t Miss the Deadline


Today is the deadline to either file your federal and state income taxes or electronically file an extension request in order to avoid hefty penalties and interest from the IRS and Indiana Department of Revenue. If you’ve waited until the last minute and won’t be able to get your return done, H&R Block senior tax advisor Michelle Bachtel says you have an option if you act quickly. “File the extension, because the extension alone is going to save you money. Even if you can’t afford to give them a penny, just file the extension,” Bachtel says. That extension will need to be filed electronically. It will give you six months to complete your return without late filing penalties, but Bachtel says any taxes you may owe still need to be paid today if possible in order to avoid failure to pay penalties and interest. Continue reading

Taxes Due April 15 Whether or Not You File an Extension


Federal and state income tax returns are due a week from today. H&R Block Senior Tax Advisor Michelle Bachtel says the worst thing you can do is ignore the looming deadline if your taxes aren’t done. “To ask for more time, you can file an extension using form 4868. This gives you an automatic six months of extra time. It’s faster if you e-file the request through your tax preparer. The IRS will send you a message of receipt if you file that way. Paper applications, unfortunately, do not get acknowledged,” Bachtel says.  She adds you should have an idea if and how much you will owe when you file for an extension, as it only gives you extra time to finish your return and not more time to pay.  “Do everything you can to pay the full amount when you file for the extension. Otherwise you’ll face interest and penalties that could raise your bill by up to 25 percent. Continue reading